Thursday, July 9, 2015

Cotemplative Hand Study




11" x 14"  watercolor   300# Arches paper unframed  $250.00


This is a painting of a beautiful dancer in a quiet moment, working out a hand movement for her ballet.
 I am showing the development of my watercolor so that you can see how layers and layers of color are applied to get the nearly finished product.  Beginning with the bottom photo, I splattered masking after the first layer.  It is important to see that a window of sorts was applied after the first layer.  I liked it but did not want the painting to be too pastel, so subsequent layers of opposite colors were applied in the background to give a feeling of opulence.  Lastly I applied some spots a la Ted Nuttall.  Which layer do you prefer?
I always think the first layer is magical.
   



No comments: