Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Morning Study"

14"x10.5"  w/c  $175.00
This painting is now at auction for the Hurricane Sandy Fundraiser which gives  100% of profit.


Beginning with the top right tulip, and no pre drawing, I worked my way down to the leaves atop the pitcher, leaving the whites for the bottom right gardenia.  Next I worked out the curve of the pitcher on the right and added the handle.  I added the shadows for the left gardenia and began the downward flow of the composition on the left.  At this point everything seemed bottom heavy so the top gardenia was added, along with spatters, palette knife, and darker values.  Soon it began to come together marvelously.  Layers were added in the whites, and a yellowish center.  I usually do not like smooth hot press, but happily found this technique to be satisfying.

2 comments:

Johanna Cellucci said...

Like this one Rev. Guess I'm partial to anything floral! Colors work well. I just got two sheets of hot pressed paper at the "auction"...makes me want to try it. Regards.

Beverly Martin said...

It's very pretty - I like the colors, too.